Thursday, February 16, 2012

My First Bike Race this Sunday!

This Sunday I will be racing in my first ever real bicycle race, the Pine Flat Road Race (62 miles) down in Fresno. And I'm terrified. But I'm not worried about the usual stuff like getting a flat tire or being attacked my an army of rival ninjas. No, mainly I'm just scared that I will do something incredibly foolish and impetuous like attacking in the first mile.

Ideally, if I can keep my ego and excitement in check, I hope to stay relaxed and conserve my energy until the last 9 miles of the race where the big mountain climbs start. And then I'm gonna go all "Andy Schleck" on their asses.

I don't want to sound (too) over confident, but I've been training like a deranged nut job. And I'm not driving 8 hours to race for second place. So if someone wants to beat me, they better be willing to suffer for 3 hours and they better also have one heck of a finishing sprint.

And now if you will excuse me, I have to get some work done. I do also have a day job after all. And my "work" I don't actually mean that I'm just going to sit here and watch this youtube video of Andy Schleck over and over again all day.

No comments: